Monday, November 13, 2006

I don't want STUFF!

I went to my state's largest rummage sale on Saturday morning. It is held each year at a snooty prep school in their huge gymnasium as a fundraiser. Normally I would have jumped at the idea of lots of super cheap stuff especially since everything was Compact-friendly since its like a giant garage sale. I started out the sale with a big moving box that they gave me at the door to pile my "stuff" into and began looking through the huge pile of baby & toddler clothes. I put a few items in the box that were the right size/season for my kids but nothing really that great, and headed over to the women's sweaters. I already own 1 sweater plus a 3 cardigans so its not like I really *need* a sweater, but since it is cold out right now it seemed like a reasonable purchase. I felt like I was supposed to buying stuff since everyone around me was crazily rummaging through the tables. I did find a decent sweater in my size and threw it in the box. Then I added 2 like new My Little Ponies for my dd for Christmas, 2 nice books for my baby boy and a few other odds and ends. I put my box of "stuff" into the Hold area so I could go to this back room they call the "Best". I found stuff in this back room that actually made more sense for me to purchase, such as 2 almost new dresses by Ralph Lauren (!!!) that my toddler will actually wear with her sensory issues, a small stainless steel colander, a windchime which I have really wanted for our front deck, a kit to make a mosaic stone for our yard (a fun art project to do with my dd), and a metal magazine rack to organize my husband's car magazines. After paying for the nicer items, I got my items from the regular section out of hold and looked at them and then looked around at everyone madly shoving "stuff" into their boxes. I used to love to shop! I decided I didn't want to play anymore. I didn't want "stuff". I put my box of crap on the floor and left with the things I had already bought from the "Best" section. With the moment upon me, if I could have returned the items I had already purchased, I would have. I wanted to run out of that place!

P.S. The photo is of the cute little stainless steel strainer I got from the sale. I have a large one, but a small one will come in handy for washing smaller amounts of produce. ***sorry uploading not working, I'll try later***

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home