Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Yes, I'm a real knitter/ my OTN list for late Oct






Since I am a knitter, I figure I should blog a little about my current projects, etc. I'm definitely not advanced by any means, but I sure do find a lot of contentment in just some yarn and sticks! I have a friend who has sold her beautiful knitting work for money, which makes me reluctant to call myself a real "knitter". But I guess I am, since I knit everyday even if its just a few minutes before bed and I recently taught someone else to knit. I'm an anxious person by nature and I have found knitting gives me something productive to do with that extra energy, as well as a creative outlet. I tried every fall for the last 6 years to learn to knit and finally last year I started some projects from patterns and the habit seems to have stuck. In fact it seems to have stuck to me like super glue. Something about the ritual of knitting makes me feel connected to a sisterhood of women not only in my own circle of knitting friends, but to some of the women in my family's history who were talented fiber artists.

Currently OTN (on the needles):

1) tiny blue baby socks for my son (my first socks!)
yarn: Zarina extrafine merino superwash, color #1472,
pattern from "Knit Baby head & toes" book pg. 112
I'm trying to figure out this sock knitting trend, so I figured I'd start small the first time. Seems pretty easy, but I figured out I much prefer 4 dpns instead of 5 like the pattern suggests. 5 dpns is like holding a wad of long toothpicks and very wobbly! My daughter will be getting a matching pair in a fuschia that she picked out. Should knit up fast!

2) kitty scarf for my daughter's Halloween costume
yarn: pink fun fur and some other black/greyish furry stuff I can't remember from Joann fabrics- feels just like a kitten!
pattern: my own
She is going to be wearing a long sleeved black t-shirt & black velour pants out of her regular clothes, a fake fur A-line dress (she doesn't want a cat suit, so I'm sewing her a slip-on fur dress instead), fuzzy black kitty ears & tail, black patent leather shoes, and this fuzzy scarf. Not a traditional cat costume, but it doesn't seem to bother her sensory integration issues and it will be very original and cute.

3) hat and scarf set for ME (starting this afternoon)
yarn: Manos de Uruguay in Flame (115) and a gorgeous coordinating Manos colorway that I can't find the label for
pattern: my own
I am completely enthralled with this yarn. I can't wait to wear it! I rarely knit for myself. Even though this is not OTN yet, I had to take a photo of the gorgeousness.

Next up: the long avoided, repeatedly frogged Peace Fleece longies for my son (Little Turtle Knits pattern) in light blue w/natural yarn waist & cuffs. Also, soon to be OTN are 2 pairs each of socks for Z and myself hopefully as our "Christmas" gifts- yarn: knitpicks "Memories" merino sock yarn in Cape Cod & Fly Fishing for Z, and Pansy & Red Hat for myself. Looking forward to knitting the socks and getting the stupid longies done and over with!

1 Comments:

At 3:25 PM, Blogger Kimberly said...

Mmmmmm Manos... gorgeous yarn. Makes me want to head for the LYS! Thats compact friendly right?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home