Thursday, October 12, 2006

Have you heard of "The Compact"?

If you haven't, you should check it out here I am very inspired by it! I discussed the idea with Z last night, as well as showing him a blog from someone on MDC who has completely downsized/simplified her family's life/home. Z seemed to think the idea was great, but brought up purchases like *new* brakes for the car, underwear, food, etc. I told him that food and household items such a soap, etc are obviously not included, as well as safety items which I would consider brakes to be, and I guess underwear should fit in under safety as well LOL! I love used clothes, but I do draw the line at undergarments such as socks, undies and bras. I can't imagine us having large purchases of socks, so I am not worried about that part. Hopefully the cars will all stay intact and not require any major work. Z does frequently buy used parts but says that some things you really do need to buy new such as brakes, etc. I feel like we have already been heading down this path, trying to buy less stuff but getting sucked into the have-to-buy-something mentality.

In the last 6 months Z went from buying lunch everyday to making himself a lunch every morning, which has saved us tons of $ and he admits he feels way better too. I've only been telling him that for at least 5 years! Anyway, I had also gotten into the habit of when I needed to get out of the house I would go shopping somewhere and make it a few hour waste of time. It frequently would involve Target, a drive thru restaurant and some toddler tantrums because my 2 year old wanted to play instead. "well duh, of course she wants to play!" you say? There are times when I just need to GET OUT of the house or I am going to go crazy. Obviously a different location is a essential if I am to break this bad habit. I have tremendously cut down on my spending at places like Target, but I am still a sucker for their cheap-cute-fall-apart-in-a-week clothing for my kids. Its easy to convince yourself you need to buy *something* in a store like that. I swear they are piping some sort of chemical or subliminal messaging into that place!

So if I need to get out of the house my current plan is to go somewhere to play with my kids. They do not like shopping, and I don't need anything anyways!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home